Monday, September 3, 2012

David

One of the things that sticks with me about David is his homecoming.  If you didn't read it the first time around, check it out now.

I have since gotten used to having David in the home.  The kids call him Rabadaba.  It makes me laugh every time.  I have no idea where it came from but every time I hear it I think of the Flintstones.  Sometimes the kids get nicknames from the clothes they wear.  One boy was called FBI because the shirt he wore for a long time had FBI on the front.  So I always picture David wearing a shirt with Fred and Barney in their car pedaling with their feet.  It brings a smile to my face every single time.

David has turned into a good kid.  He takes his school serious and tells me he loves studying.  When he began we thought he would be in primary 5.  When he was tested at school he passed the primary 5 test and put him in primary 6.  He works hard and was named entertainment prefect.  I really have no idea what that means, but he was really excited when he told me and so it must be an honor to be chosen.  I think anytime the boys are given any responsibility at school (or in the home) it makes them feel good.  It shows that they are trusted.  

David is one of the oldest boys in the home.  He is the boy in the highest grade and so other boys look up to him.  It was a struggle in the beginning to make him understand that.  Now he works hard to set a good example.  He helps counsel the boys if they are having problems.  He makes sure he studies hard and does his homework each night.  He translates for them and helps them when they need help.  

The other day I was talking to him on the phone and we were talking about the uncle that visits a few times a week.  I asked what he had been learning from him.  (The uncle comes to do devotions with them and some counseling.)  He said that the uncle had just taught him about fasting.  He told me how that was his first day fasting.  When I asked him what he did when he fasted, he told me he prayed to God and worshiped him all day.  When I asked what he was fasting for he told me so I would be fine and be back to Uganda soon, that  he would do well in school, and for the other boys and uncles.

I never thought that David could be this kid.  I would have never given him a chance on my own.  I had in my mind who he was and for whatever reason didn't believe he deserved a chance.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  Truth is David is one of the easier kids in the home.  He appreciates being there and his chance to go to school.  The uncle doesn't complain about his bad behavior.  He wants to be different and he is trying really hard to be. 

Meet David!

David

David with John, Jimmy, and Julius



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!!