Monday, June 6, 2011

I have decided to fast.  I have never fasted before and not really sure what to expect, but I don't know what else to do...

I am feeling a little desperate, discouraged, and hopeless at the moment.  It all started Friday.  I got a call that 6 of our boys had been arrested.  When I went to the police station to meet an uncle to try and get them out all the police did was insult and abuse me.  They told me what a terrible person I was, I was exploiting the children, the children were terrorists, I had failed them...So many terrible things, all while refusing to release them EVEN THOUGH they are children.  Finally, they let them go, but told us we could no longer let the boys sleep in the room we had been renting.  Where are they supposed to sleep??Not really sure but for the police they don't care.  So the boys are fending for themselves now at night.  They don't have any shelter, no safe place.  For some, they are sleeping in an open field, some in town on the street or on verandas, some if they have collected enough scrap for the day they can pay to sleep somewhere, and some are saying they are going to the other slum which is way worse and so completely unsafe for anyone let alone a child.   If they stay around, the police will just keep arresting them, like they did last night.  I know where they were sleeping wasn't great but at least it provided some protection.  Now they have nothing...

And my heart is completely broken.  These are the children I love more than anything, they have become my life, and there is nothing I can do.  I can't fight the police because they will win and completely make us stop our programs and then where will our kids be? I can't make these people understand how they are hurting these children and ruining their society because they only care about themselves and can't see long term.  I can't change the views of the community because those people are so much in need also that they can't see or care about others' suffering.  I am just feeling lost and not sure what to do.

The last time I felt this way, I quit my job and moved here.  I know that great things can come from these situations and I have no doubt that God is going to provide for these boys.  As much as my heart hurts and is breaking, I know His hurts way more.  I just have to wait on Him to show me what to do.  In the meantime, please be praying for these kids.

Here are some photos of them.  My precious angels....

Ronald    
Wasswa, Ivan, and Peter

Derrick

Isma

Mukasa

Ibra


Bwanika

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!!