Monday, November 19, 2012

Changing

As Thanksgiving is almost here, I am thinking about all of the things I am thankful for.  Life has been hard and I am not where I want to be, but I have so much to be thankful for.

Most of all, I am thankful for a great God that is faithful and good.  Time and time again in this journey, He has proven himself more faithful than I could ever imagine.  There is always enough.  We always seem to manage, have food, clothes, rent.  When this world tries to bring us down, He remains the same.  Always good, always faithful.  When I am ready to give up, He picks me up and pushes me on.  He gives the boys just the right words to remind me why I need to keep fighting.  Why it is worth it.

Yesterday was one of those days.

I was talking to the boys on the phone and mostly they were telling me about their exams this week and how they want to go visit their families after exams are over.  There are still a few boys that haven't returned to their families yet.  One boy, Jacob, hasn't returned yet.  He didn't want to go the last 2 times the other boys went.  He wasn't ready and we didn't push.  The boys know that when they want, they can return to their families.  So we waited.

Yesterday, Jacob was telling me about his training and how much he likes it.  He was happy for his new boots and for everything he was learning.  He agreed it was a good choice for him and he thinks he will be happy to be a mechanic.

Then...

He asked me if it was ok if he would go and visit his step-mom.  He told me he knew that he wasn't nice to her and needed to go and beg forgiveness and apologize for his actions.

I couldn't have been prouder of him at that moment.

He is changing.  So are all of the boys.  They are slowly becoming the men God created them to be.  They are healing and accepting responsibility for their actions.

And it is all thanks to God.

 Philippians 1:6 (The Message)
There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears.

Jacob cooking at our old house

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!!